2016 was a record year for Amazon’s “shipping by Amazon” service (FBA-fulfillment by Amazon). The Seattle online shipping merchant announced that in 2016, more than 2 billion items were sent worldwide through Amazon for marketplace sellers. In the 2016 Christmas season alone, the number of items shipped through FBA worldwide increased by more than 50 percent.
Milestones 2016 – Amazon Marketplace and FBA, worldwide:
- More than 2 billion items were delivered to customers via FBA worldwide.
- Worldwide, the number of merchants using the FBA service increased by more than 70 percent.
- The number of units delivered via FBA outside the United States grew by more than 80 percent.
- In 2016, customer orders in 185 countries were shipped from more than 130 countries with FBA worldwide.
- For Prime customers in Germany, Austria, UK, France, Japan, and the US, there are more than six million additional
- items available through the program “seller-fulfilled Prime (SFP)“.
Christmas Season 2016 (worldwide)
- On “Cyber Monday 2016”, orders for more than 28 million items were received by Amazon merchants worldwide.
- The number of products shipped via FBA increased during the 2016 Christmas shopping season by more than 50 percent worldwide.
Sponsored products, worldwide:
- Clicks on “sponsored products” rose by more than 150 percent worldwide
- Worldwide, the number of sellers who use “sponsored products” grew by more than 100 percent
After Amazon Business was launched in the US in 2015, Amazon Business was also started in Germany in 2016. Just in the first year, Amazon Business made more than 1 billion dollars in revenues in the US, and more than 45,000 Amazon merchants sell via “Amazon Business”.
Handmade at Amazon
The service “Handmade at Amazon”, which was launched in the US already in 2015, was also started in Germany France, Italy, Spain, and the UK in 2016.
In the US, more than 500,000 items are already available through the handmade store.
Pan-European shipping via Amazon
In 2016, Amazon launched the pan-European FBA program, which allows Amazon merchants to export more efficiently than ever and to reach millions of Amazon customers throughout Europe.
Within the framework of the pan-European FBA program, Amazon merchants send their products to a local Amazon logistics center, Amazon handles all logistics and distributes the products automatically in Amazon’s European logistics network based on expected local demand in the various countries.
2016 is also the year Amazon started Amazon Launchpad. Here, Amazon works together with more than a hundred leading venture capital firms, accelerators, and funding services and already helps more than 1,000 startups to introduce new products into the US, UK, China, Germany, and France.
Vice President of Amazon Seller Services in Europe, Francois Saugier says:
“2016 was another record year for merchants on the Amazon marketplace worldwide“.
One of the biggest growth factors, especially for small merchants, is the FBA program in which we store, package, and ship products to customers for them. This allows merchants to easily expand their business nationally and internationally, increase revenues, and create new jobs.”
Director of Amazon Seller Services in German-speaking countries, Dr. Markus Schöberl says:
“According to an independent study, marketplace merchants in Germany have created 87,000 jobs through their activities on Amazon“.
“It is great to see German Amazon sellers attain bigger and bigger successes – we see our role as continuing to support them in this effort”.